March 2, 2011

Valentine Speaks..


Let me introduce myself. I am Valentine. I lived in Rome during the third century. It was a long, long time ago! At that time, Rome was ruled by an emperor named Claudius. I did not like Emperor Claudius, and I was not alone! Many people shared my feelings.

Claudio wanted a large army. He expects a man to join voluntarily. Many men just do not want to fight in wars. They do not want to leave their wives and families. As you can imagine, not many men signed. This made Claudius furious. So what happened? It was a crazy idea. He thought that if men are married, they do not mind the army. So Claudius decided not most marriages. Young people thought his new law was cruel. I thought it was absurd! I really do not support this law!



Did I mention that I was a priest? One of my favorite activities is to marry couples. Even after Emperor Claudius passed his law, which continued to perform marriages in the scene - in secret, of course. It was very exciting. Imagine a small candlelit room with only the bride and groom and myself. We whisper the words of the ceremony, only to hear the footsteps of the soldiers.


One night we heard it. It was scary! Luckily the couple was married I escaped in time. I was caught. (Not exactly light on my feet as I used to be, I think.) I was thrown in jail and told that my punishment was death.


I tried to stay cheerful. And you know what? wonderful things happened. Many young people came to visit me in prison. They threw flowers and notes up to my window. They wanted to know who believed in love.



One of these was the young daughter of a jailer. Her father allowed her to visit me in the cell. Sometimes we sit and talk for hours. It helped me keep my spirit up. He felt that I did the emperor and the right not to go on the secret marriages. The day I die, I left my friend a little note to thank him for his friendship and loyalty. I signed, "Love your Valentine."


I believe that note started to change the habit of love for Valentine's Day messages. It 'was written the day he died, 14 February 269 AD Now, every year on this day people will remember. But, above all, think of love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, who remember how he tried to stop the love, and laugh - because they know that love can not be beaten!
                                                                                                 St. Valentine.





There is no single Valentine. Three martyrs have their party celebreated that day. Saints preserve us reports that eight complete bodies and heads are given the veneration of Saint Valentine in the Roman Church.


The association of Valentine's Day with the fans as a substitute for the belief of medieval Christian and pagan Lupercalia that birds choose their mates on this day.


In 496 AD, Pope Gelasius named February 14 in honor of St. Valentine as the patron saint of lovers. In 1969 Pope Paul VI fell in the calendar of the Church. But, florists, card shops, lingerie stores, etc. love to celebrate this day.

February sleeting.
February ices.
St. Valentine teaches.
That His love suffices.



No comments:

Post a Comment